Bisham Abbey located just 35 minutes from Heathrow Airport is one of the best national sports centers in the UK. Once upon a time, it was the home of nobles like Elizabeth the I and Henry the VIII. So, not only does the place offer out of this world sports facilities, it is also rich with history of over 800 years. Bisham Abbey sits between Buckinghamshire and Berkshire.
There are several reasons why Bisham Abbey qualifies to be a National Sports Center. One of these reasons is the facilities on site.
- 50 en-suite rooms that provide accommodation for athletes on the grounds. Each room is equipped with a flat screen TV, a coffee or tea making machine, a desk and a shower cubicle.
- Abbey clinic. This sports therapy center provides medical assistance for athletes.
- 9 hole golf course.
- 4 Indoor tennis courts.
- 2 squash tennis courts.
- 2 water based astro turfs and training D’s.
- International synthetic pitch for hockey.
- 3 grass pitches for football and rugby. All up to FA standards.
- 4 Outdoor clay tennis courts.
- 90 station fitness suite.
- Steam bath.
- A gym which is also open to the community. Programs offered include a full fitness timetable, cardio and weights.
- Dance studio.
- 7 conference rooms.
- Both indoor and outdoor changing rooms.
- A conditioning and elite strength facility.
- Bar and outdoor terrace. This is mostly used for barbeques and marquee events.
- The Engine Room Restaurant.
- Refuel café.
- The Warwick room utilised for civil ceremonies.
- The Great Hall. It is often rented for wedding receptions.
- Riverside lawn. Companies, schools, and organizations use this lawn for fun days and team building exercises.
- Bisham Abbey Sailing and Navigation School.
This prestigious center is managed by Sport England who hired Servo Leisure Operating Limited to run it. Sports played in the center include football, wheelchair tennis, lawn tennis, hockey, and rugby.